Monday, April 03, 2006

It is not is not the promises made, but that it delivers

The strange thing about Dr. Roberts' book is not the promises it makes, but that it delivers.

My book review

Also, as to the alternatives:

http://www.amptoons.com/blog/archives/2006/02/03/anti-fat-science-uk-edition/ -- must read for anyone who just says "exercise and eat less." As the author says: "I for one feel underwhelmed.

2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 can be summed up as "eat more fruit and veggies, and cut your calorie intake." (Number 9 doesn't appear at first glance to be a calorie-cutting tip, but when you read the details it turns out they think that people who eat in front of the TV eat more). 3 and 7 can be summed up as "exercise more." So 9 of the Top Ten Tips are the two most commonplace and well-known weight loss strategies known to humankind.

Do they honestly think that the 75% of fat people (80% of obese people) who want to lose weight have never thought of eating less and exercising more? That notion has just never been presented to them before January 2006, and that's why they're fat?

Good lord, how can these people look at themselves in the mirror? (Answer: they're thin, and to them that's the only criteria that matters.) What kind of brainless moron of a researcher brightly chirps to newspapers that fat people should try and lose weight by eating less and walking more, as if this is news?

J---s C----t! (And I say that as an atheist Jew.)
"

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Okay I must have totally missed something here. So you think "dieting" is totally ineffective; so you have hit upon an effective solution that includes consuming massive amounts of sugar water and pure oil? Are you sure the oil isn't snake oil?

How the hell is this not a diet? "Eating healthy and exercising DOESN'T WORK, so guzzle sugar water and oil! THIS TIME, it's NOT a scam! This time is for real! It REALLY WORKS!" Yeah, so does Atkins, South Beach, etc. You missed the entire point of the post at Alas. It just flew right over your head.


Except, of course, I've lost 44 pounds so far, only eight of it since I change my exercise up. Before that I exercised devoutly for three years.

On the one hand, I pretty much reached the limit of weight machines, a real surprise to me. On the other hand, I got to watch people for three years at the gym and no one lost weight.

It works. That's why it isn't snake oil. And it isn't massive quantities, but it isn't classic calorie reduction either (that happens as a side effect, not as a method -- so yes, I'm eating about half or less of the total calories I used to eat, but that only happened after I changed the way I ate them, and as a side effect of it).

Stephen said...

Darn, a typo, that should be "changed my exercise up."