Saturday, June 10, 2006

Home alone

At Ozarque they are having a discussion about letting kids roam, how they used to when they were kids, how no one does it now. In Olden Days. I used to roam around a lot, on my bicycle or on foot, in the places we lived, Texas, Alaska, Newfoundland, Nevada. Not so much Idaho (Mountain Home AFB was pretty bleak). So did my wife in Walnut Creek, but not in Brazil.

My kids have roamed a lot less. I thought about that this morning. I'm part of a men's group that meets at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday mornings. Usually there are no conflicts, but Win got stuck in surgery this morning (her replacement was late, and a CRNA can't just walk out on the surgeon). My seventeen year old was with friends (they had a sleep over, her best friend is leaving in a week or so), which left me with the six year old. Who I knew would sleep until nine, but I just couldn't leave her alone. Maybe if I didn't own so much space in a cemetary, but I just couldn't do it. So I skipped.

But in many ways, God leaves us alone to roam, but with tethers. Not quite like a parent with a cell phone. And just like I had to force myself to let the seventeen year old do things, like join rifle team and keep up her dressage lessons when we were in Wichita Falls, God lets us take risks, fall and hurt ourselves, and keep making our own decisions, leaving only in his hands that he takes us home in the end.

No comments: