Monday, March 26, 2007

Discussion on kids borrowing the car keys ...

Even though she was a bit high-maintenance, at least Ishtar politely asked her father for the Bull of Heaven. She didn't just go sneaking off behind her dad's back to steal the keys to the bull and then get really drunk and start tear---ng all over town causing chaos everywhere until she wrapped the Bull of Heaven around a telephone pole.

Enkidu totally gets the short end of the stick though.

Rich




No wonder the Epic of Gilgamesh is a classic:

Father give me the Bull of Heaven,
So he can kill Gilgamesh in his dwelling.
If you do not give me the Bull of Heaven ,
I will knock down the Gates of the Netherworld,
I will smash the doorposts, and leave the doors flat down,
and will let the dead go up to eat the living!
And the dead will outnumber the living!
It will be awful!



You know how it is, any discussion kind of gets back to family, no matter where it starts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An unusual analogy--I like it!

Stephen said...

The Epic of Gilgamesh is one of the oldest in the world, and Ishtar demanding the bull of heaven sounds so much like a kid demanding car keys ... I had to share the comment Rich made.

Unknown said...

I hope that Ishtar was OK...
or whatever her name was. I'm confused. :)